Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Tentative Answer Augustine

A friend who drinks, takes drugs, and plays around sexually probably does it because these acts are physically or emotionally pleasurable. If a person was forced into doing these things and his intention was sincerely not to do them (eg. forced drinking, rape) then it's not a sin for them, but if the intention behind it exists then it is wrong. Doing these things means that they are catering to pleasure and living by 'the rule of the flesh' rather than 'by the rule of the spirit'. But even though we are being "weighed down by the body" the cause of the bad actions are still in the soul and the intention. I think Augustine would say to accept God into your life because that is the only way you will be saved. I also think a passage from 1.1 might be relevant in extrapolation as well - "they oppose his name in the perversity of their hearts, so that they may incur the punishment of eternal darkness; but then they took refuge in that name, though with deceitful lips, so that they might continue to enjoy this transitory light." Augustine would probably make the friend aware of the afterlife and not only the pleasures of the present life, and help them to see that darkness or happiness in the afterlife is eternal whereas the pleasure on earth is temporary and "transitory". 

Also I remember in 8.6 it says "nothing changeable can be the supreme God" but I remember we discussed that God has changed between the Old and New testaments in the way he approaches the world? 

Good night...! 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Augustine would emphasize that these people are acting this way because they are acting to please themselves. I agree that Augustine would point to the current pleasure in life as temporary and that reminding friends of the after life serves an important role in discouraging them from committing sin now. However, in my opinion, there is a tricky part in explaining God and following his word when it comes to sin, for if Jesus died so that we can be saved from our sins, there seems to be a loop hole that you can sin and still get into heaven. I think that when talking to these friends you should not only remind them of the after life but also of what God said in his 10 commandments and through out Deuteronomy about how to live your life. In this way I think the friend will see how important it is not only to believe in God, but also to follow his word. This should discourage sinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Augustine would find the original fault in the intention and soul, and so that's where he would go first to curb the problem. If we are assuming that one who drinks, takes drugs, and plays around sexually does so for physical or emotional pleasure, then I think that Augustine would guide that person by reminding them of a different kind of pleasure that they could find by following the spirit and adhering to Christ. Augustine would creatively remind them of this pleasure, less tangible but just as satisfying, which is capable of providing just as strong a dependency on. Augustine would emphasize that the most significant difference is that the pleasure of the spirit lasts an eternity--a much greater incentive than the fleeting rewards of bodily pleasures. Augustine would apply reason and basic logic to persuade the reader that his form of pleasure is the greater pleasure, the pleasure that they should want. I disagree that Augustine would immediately persuade by talking about bringing God into one's life, only because the person in question is more likely to be convinced by personal benefit before spiritual satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete